The Grim Reaper’s scythe rarely falls upon treasure hunters. The earth collapses beneath their feet, arrows fly from walls, and giant boulders give chase, but these adventurous souls cannot be stopped until they locate an ancient secret. Their expeditions are brimming with rollicking fun, but their stories always end the same way: They live another day, and one less treasure is lost to the world. We know what we’re getting from these serialized stories, and we love them for it. But unlike Indiana Jones (who is still chasing myths and legends at age 73) and Lara Croft (who is turning back the clock), Naughty Dog has said Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is Nathan Drake’s final chapter. The subtitle alone paints an ominous picture for the famed hero, but what is it hinting at? Does he die? Disappear without a trace? Retire atop a mountain of gold?
That question turns A Thief’s End into a ticking time bomb of a narrative. As this story unfolds, we see Drake’s entire life come into frame – from key moments in his childhood that helped shape him to the ordinary days he spends at home with his wife, Elena. We get to know Drake intimately; we know what he’s sacrificing and what drives him….
- Nathan Drake is back – Several years after his last adventure, retired fortune hunter, Nathan Drake, is forced back into the world of thieves.
- Adventure – With the stakes much more personal, Drake embarks on a globe-trotting journey in pursuit of a historical conspiracy behind a fabled pirate treasure.
- Sacrifice – His greatest adventure will test his physical limits, his resolve, and ultimately what he’s willing to sacrifice to save the ones he loves.
- Mystical – Harness some of the well-known supernatural elements from the Uncharted games to aid your team in attaining victory.
- Sidekicks – Sidekicks are another loadout option, which spawns an NPC ally, each with a unique skill to help you or your teammates along. Sidekicks will earn you cash as they fulfill their role.
- Grappling Hook – Leverage the environment to take out characters from above.